Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 140: working and singing.

Last week I did a pretty crap job of doing any singing practice, so this week I'm really trying to work on my vocal exercises every day. Only on evenings like this, where a mildly baffling job has kept me at my other kind of work a little later than usual, the prospect of going home and belting out my arpeggios and scales in nays, naws, mums and hmms seems even more of a chore than it usually does. You'd think that doing something that could bring me closer to achieving my rock 'n' roll dreams would be something I would jump at. But as my singing teacher pointed out, these exercises are the sweaty workouts that come before the hot bod (actually I added the bit about the bod), i.e. it's the hard bit. The work you put in before you get the reward. So if I'm interested in getting the reward ever in this lifetime, maybe I should stop wasting valuable minutes writing about doing the hard work, and just go and do it.

1 comment:

  1. As a soprano choir boy of 5 years between the ages of 8 and 13 who has also received extensive vocal training, I cannot express enough the importance of arpeggios and scales in nays, naws, mums and hmms (aahs, ooohs, eees and laaas are also highly recommended). They do wonders for vocal range, strength, stability and stamina.

    ReplyDelete