Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 173: awesome rainy Sunday.

Today I woke up and it was grey and rainy, which was absolutely perfect. It meant I could take care of all sorts of pottering tasks - or none at all - without any guilt for having not left the house. It also seemed aptly solemn weather for ANZAC Day, our commemoration of the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought at Gallipoli in World War I, and indeed every soldier who has fought and died or survived since. For my own part, while I didn't make the dawn service, I did spend a large chunk of the day watching the ANZAC Parade on TV while stitching petals, leaves and one long, thin flower stalk onto my patchwork cushion from yesterday. It did occur to me that, this being a long weekend and all, in olden times I would most definitely have been revving up for an enormous evening while still recovering from a large one the night before. If you'd told me that in the not too distant future you'd find me watching telly, celebrating the fact that I didn't have to go out, and addicted to patchwork, well I probably would have kicked you. Or fainted from extended laughter (and alcohol-induced dehydration). Ah well, times change. Now where's my yellow thread?

No comments:

Post a Comment