Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 76: ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

You might remember around Day 62/63 I had a big decision to make, but I couldn't tell you about it. Now I can. I got offered a job at another agency, and the decision I made was to take it. I've been in my current job for around six and a half years now, so the choice wasn't an overly surprising one. In fact, for a lot of people who know me, the reaction is more like "what took you so long dork-feature?" than "I am dumbfounded at the unexpectedness of this development". What you might find unexpected however, is the reason I'm about to give for this "sudden" burst of upheaval: bikram yoga. I'm not changing jobs because I hate where I work. Where I work is fine. I'm not changing jobs for a promotion. My job will be pretty much the same. More money might have something to do with it, but that's beside the point. I'm changing jobs (I think) because once upon a time I discovered bikram yoga, and since then I've been systematically (if not entirely consciously) changing absolutely everything. I have chopped off all my hair, moved house (three times), and put a stop to an unhealthy relationship. And then what happened? I did the 31-day yoga challenge, and swore myself off alcohol for a year. Could I be any more unrecognisable? Well yes actually, because now I'll be working somewhere different too. And I've started wearing red lipstick (although that probably has more to do with seeing it in Vogue). So everything is changing, and yoga is to blame? My teacher Darren said this might happen. Apparently it happens all the time. Much like yoga unlocks stiff joints and gets your blood moving around your body, it also has a weird tendency to open doors for other stuff to move around in your life. Don't ask me how it works. You could try asking Darren. But then you might have to try doing the yoga too, and who knows what might happen then?

P.S. Yoga boy did a class standing right next to me the other day, which probably means nothing. The only reason I'm telling you is because it meant I did the best standing backbend ever. Yessssssss.

No comments:

Post a Comment