Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 275: sucked in.

I used to love that saying as a kid. "Ah ha, sucked in." Now, as an adult, I feel like it's a phrase that should be applied to me. Because sucked in I certainly have been. Sucked in to giving a shit about material possessions, sucked in to a system where money really matters, sucked in to equating a part of my self worth with the work I do, sucked in to the rat race where we can be cornered into working like dogs by some ill placed sense of duty and honour. It's very fashionable these days to be passionate about your work. If you don't love your job and live for your job, it's seen as some kind of failure. Not in love with your work? Quit then! Go and do something you are in love with. Ah yes but there are bills to be paid. Expensive ones. Doing what we love doesn't always cover these. And if you don't have what other people have, you are made to feel your inferiority. And so the cycle continues. And you find your life hijacked by the pursuit of making other people money (and yourself of course, but the other people always seem to be making more). I had a tough week. Can you tell? And it still hasn't finished. Working on a Saturday? Sucked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment