Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 271: calling in the lawyers.

Today I called a guy called Larry in New York. He's a lawyer, and an expert in immigration and working visas. He had a lovely accent (it's embarrassing how much I am in love with all things American). He was also very courteous and helpful, as I keep finding Americans to be (I'm sure there are some foul, bastard ones out there, but I just don't seem to be meeting them). Anyway, he told me some useful stuff but also confirmed what I already knew - that a job offer is my best way to get through the golden arches. Hmmm. There's also a thing called an artist's visa, which got me thinking. As an artist, would one be allowed to say, work on a second book in the states? Record an album? Oh but there I go getting ahead of myself again. Form band first, record album in NYC later. Get book one published first, write dream second book later. And meanwhile do the most arse-kicking advertising work I've done in my life to try and secure the haloed job in the big smoke. Challenging? Yes. Impossibly so? No way.

No comments:

Post a Comment