Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 233: not just oil barons and pick-up trucks.

Okay, so there are quite a lot of oil barons and pick-up trucks in Houston, Texas. But today on my wanderings in the FREAKIN INTENSE heat, I discovered another side to this city that I wasn't expecting: its artistic side. Apparently, and until now unbeknownst to me, Houston is strong in the arts. Today I went to a gallery that proved it. It was full of really cool 20th and 21st century art, including lots of Andy Warhol, Yves Klein, Rothko, Magritte, Cy Twombly, and a cool dude I only just discovered today, Maurizio Cattelan (I know, I'm a heathen). They also had a cool collection of ancient Greek, Roman and African art, and some New Zealand Maori carvings (which was a surprise), oh and these hilarious little figurines with enormous antlers from the iron age. (I liked them.) Admittedly, it was an oil baroness that funded this impressive collection, but it was nice to see oil being put to artistic use, instead of just being poured into the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment