Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 15: hangovers are a piece of cake.

Okay, so I know I'm meant to be all "anti-drinking and hangovers" right now. But I'm telling you, the illness a drinking binge can throw at you is a dream compared to what I've just experienced. I'm writing this late because over the last few days I've been laid out by a draining and confusing bug. A stomach bug that warns you off your food but allows you to keep it down. A bug that, while it allows you to eat and digest, wracks your body with aches, fever and headache, and empties it of any vestige of energy. And a bug that seems only to be sweated out, or ineffectually treated with Panadol (Panadol and dark chocolate have been my only relievers - again, how weird?). At least with a hangover I know what needs to be done. And one decent night's sleep will see me back on track. It reminds me of something I saw on Oprah today (I know. I was delirious.). She said something like, "Sometimes God has a bigger plan for you than you could ever have dreamed for yourself". Hmmm. Could it also be that sometimes God has a more unpleasant tummy complaint for you than you ever could have inflicted on yourself? Or maybe God has bigger issues to deal with than my stomach and aching limbs. Whatever the case, illness of the natural, un-self-inflicted variety is certainly a force to be reckoned with; a way tougher customer than any pissy hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment